Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

I'm homesick for China these days...not all of it, of course, but parts of it. Food, people, and some aspects of our lifestyle there (although of course there are parts that I don't miss at all and don't even really look forward to returning to).

It has been fun, however, to watch my husband navigate life in the U.S. at times. I don't enjoy watching him have to navigate the not fun parts, such as no driver's license or job because of our in limbo visa situation, but other parts...it's quite funny.

I only realize just how much has has adjusted to some things when I listen to him talking to friends and family in China.

One notable thing, of course, has been his adjustment to preparing for baby...which would have been a completely different experience in China, as we'd originally thought it would be.

As we've taken our Bradley Method class, and prepared for what we hope will be a natural birth at a birth center instead of a hospital, he has certainly had his eyes opened to a lot of things you wouldn't see in Inner Mongolia, China.

We've been able to compare things with his sister, who recently gave birth to her daughter back in Inner Mongolia. As I've heard about her experience, I have been reminded how honestly thankful I am to be in the U.S., preparing with my birth team here. In spite of the financial difficulties, it will be worth it.

Last night, I laughed a little bit as I heard him lecturing his mother on breastfeeding and the wrong care instructions that she was giving his sister. His mother was completely silent on the other end, and I know she had to be thinking, "What on earth has happened to my son?"

Overall, we are grateful for this time "in limbo" as it were. Our time here has been an opportunity for us to switch roles and bring a bit of "China" life to America.



2 comments:

  1. I loved reading this. It's so interesting the differences between countries and cultures. We can all learn something from each other, that's for sure!

    My boyfriend just got his visa to come visit Canada and he'll spend 3 weeks with me there this summer. I'm excited to see what he thinks and what he finds different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After being here in AK for the past 8 years, I can relate. To missing some parts of living in Texas (family, friends mostly, and fresh veggies) but not others. Always enjoy reading your stuff. Hope your pregnancy is smooth sailing from here on out.

    ReplyDelete